Benefits and Financial Help

Benefits and Financial Help

Emergency Funds

Surrey Crisis Fund offers support to Surrey residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency. The scheme is designed for any resident in a financial crisis, which means they literally have no money. For more information please see the Surrey Crisis Fund information.

Employment and Benefits Information

Information from the Department of Work and Pensions – If you are affected by coronavirus or its effect on the economy, there is a range of support available. The DWP pages provide information about the changes the government has brought in to support people who are already

  • claiming benefits,
  • need to claim benefits
  • are at risk of losing their job as a result of coronavirus.

The DWP has sections on Sick pay; Making a new claim; Already claiming; Housing; Furlough; Self-employment; Employers and FAQs.  For more information please follow the link to the DWP website:

Support from Reigate & Banstead Borough Council

The Borough Council can offer advice about:

a) Council tax support – If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to council tax support.

b) Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) – You will only get a DHP if you already get:

  • Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs, and
  • you have a shortfall between your rent liability and the amount of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs you get, and
  • the Council consider that you need additional help to pay your rent

c) Housing Benefit – Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit. Please follow the attached link to explain when you can make a new claim for Housing Benefit

Family Finance Information

Please use the link below to find a range of financial assistance available to families.

The organisations in the link below are local and national charities that may be able to help individual families in need:

Other Support and Information

Citizens Advice

Have a range of advice on benefits on their national website:

See here for contact details for Citizens Advice Reigate & Banstead where you can speak to an advisor about benefit claims or financial worries

Citizens Advice can also offer debt advice and assistance. See here for details:

Age UK Surrey

Provides information and advice for older people, their families and carers

For benefits checks and help with applications Tel 01483 503414