Over the coming weeks/months working from home will become increasingly common due to the impact of COVID 19. Here are a few of the tools available to stay in touch with colleagues and others:
- Telephone – sometimes simplest works best! If there are more than two people involved then try Conference Call
- WhatsApp – as long as people have smartphones and have enough data/minutes then WhatsApp works well for small groups (text, call or video). If you are not yet on Whatsapp – it is available in the app stores on your smart phone.
For video conference there are a few options (including WhatsApp). All have free versions, although for some you may pay call charges:
- Zoom – a browser based service so can be easier to use. You can also use this to produce video fact sheets and webinars. If you want to step up to the advanced version – registered charities can get 50% off the Zoom Pro plan via Charity Digital – see here
- Skype – One of the best known tools – it is also available via a browser and can be used for video conferencing or phone conferences
- FreeConferencecall.com – does conference calls and video conferencing
To get you started try CAST (Centre for the Acceleration of Social Technology) Practical Guide to Remote Meetings This is an accessible guide to holding remote meetings, including links to free meeting tools. If you are struggling with IT issues Digital Candle will introduce you to a digital expert who can provide you with an hour of free digital advice (over the phone!)