Surrey County Council has provided the following update on the PPE situation (19.5.2020).
- The availability of PPE continues to improve
- Government supplies are increasing, and we are now receiving our bulk orders from all over the world. This has significantly reduced costs for items such as gloves (from £13 to £4 per box)
- PPE donations from businesses across Surrey have now exceeded 100, 000. We will be writing to these businesses to formally thank them for their contributions and to build relationships as we progress through the recovery phase and beyond
- Sewing groups across the county are making medical scrubs for health and care workers following the Handmade for Heroes campaign.
PPE – How people can help
We know that scrubs are tricky to sew, and this is only a project for expert sewers. They need to be made to a specific pattern which can be printed on a home A4 printer. These are the patterns provided by Public Health England. Each organisation or provider may have their own specification requirements – please check with who you are supplying to ensure whatever you produce meets their required standards and specifications. More information on our Coronavirus pages here.
Please keep fabric as clean as possible and work in a room without food or animals. We also ask that you wash any completed items at 60 degrees and iron before distributing to the organisation.
If you have access to new, unopened, high quality and professional materials you are able to donate for our sewing groups, we would be delighted to hear from you. We are looking for:
- Poly cotton (darker colours) – 50% cotton/50% polyester or can be 35% cotton/ 65% polyester
- Herringbone cotton tape (20mm wide)
- Polyester thread (preferably Gutermann or Madeira).
If you can help please get in touch at email@example.com and we will match you to a sewing group who would benefit.
If you have access to equipment used to cut fabric, we can pass on cut fabric to our sewers who may need this help. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if this is a service you can offer.