Could you be a Befriender?
The past year has been tough for many people. A friendly chat cannot solve everything, but it can make a huge difference – in particular to those feeling isolated as a result of the COVID-19 measures.
Local charities are still recruiting volunteer telephone befrienders to provide emotional support and company to people who are feeling lonely.
Befrienders provide both emotional and practical support – including:
- Emotional support through telephone conversations
- Explaining correspondence/updated health information and restrictions or giving practical information about where to go or how to do things
- Signposting to information and advice
To become a Befriender you will need:
- A confident and friendly telephone manner with a clear speaking voice
- A quiet home environment to make the calls, with no one dependent on your care whilst you are making the calls
Interested in becoming a Befriender, but want to find out more first?
VARB is working in partnership with local charity ESRA again, to offer Introductory Training on Volunteering as a Befriender.
Who is the training suitable for?
The training is aimed at anyone considering becoming a volunteer befriender. It is also suitable for people who may be new to volunteering as a befriender and would welcome some introductory training.
When does it take place?
The training will take from 10am to 12 noon on 27 April and 4 May. It will be delivered via zoom over two two-hour sessions, a week apart. Please note, you will need to attend both sessions on 27 April and 4 May.
What does the introductory training cover?
- Understanding the role of a befriender
- Understanding social isolation and loneliness
- Building befriender relationships and boundaries
- Understanding confidentiality and safeguarding responsibilities
- Communication and listening skills
- Ending relationships
To register your interest in a free place on the Introductory training for Volunteer Befriending, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01737 762115.
Befriender Volunteer Roles
To find out more about current Volunteer Befriender Roles, including face to face befriending, click on the links below: