Could you be a Befriender?
Reigate & Banstead Borough Council are recruiting volunteer telephone befrienders to provide emotional support and company to people who are feeling isolated as a result of the COVID-19 measures.
Befrienders provide both emotional and practical support – including:
- Emotional support through telephone conversations
- Explaining correspondence/updated health information and restrictions or giving practical information about where to go or how to do things
- Signposting to information and advice
To become a Befriender you will need:
- A confident and friendly telephone manner with a clear speaking voice
- A quiet home environment to make the calls, with no one dependent on your care whilst you are making the calls
If you are interested in becoming a Befriender with Reigate & Banstead Borough Council, please click on the button below to find further details, including how to submit a “Quick Enquiry”.
Interested in becoming a Befriender, but want to find out more first?
VARB is working in partnership with local charity ESRA to offer Introductory Training on Volunteering as a Befriender.
Who is the training suitable for?
The training is aimed at anyone considering becoming a volunteer befriender. It is also suitable for people who may be new to volunteering as a befriender and would welcome some introductory training.
When does it take place?
The training will take from 10am to 12 noon. It will be delivered via zoom over two sessions on separate days, both two hours long ie. 4 hours in total. Please note, you will need to attend both sessions. Our January course is now full. We are taking bookings for a course in February – dates to be confirmed.
What does the introductory training cover?
- Understanding the role of a befriender
- Understanding social isolation and loneliness
- Building befriender relationships and boundaries
- Understanding confidentiality and safeguarding responsibilities
- Communication and listening skills
- Ending relationships
To register interest in a free place on the Introductory training for Volunteer Befriending, please contact email@example.com or call 01737 762115.