How VARB can help
We recruit volunteers
VARB will promote your volunteer opportunities via our own website and, through our shared database, across neighbouring boroughs and districts of Surrey. We host and attend volunteer events and use the local media to attract new volunteers. Our goal is to match a volunteer’s interests, skills and availability with appropriate opportunities.
We support Volunteer Managers
We can help to develop volunteer policies and good practice covering: recruitment, equal opportunities, induction and training, expenses, supervision, insurance, health and safety. We also provide network events so you can meet and learn from other volunteer managers.
We advise on DBS checks
Many volunteers will not require a DBS check, however where they are working with vulnerable adults or children a check may be necessary. VARB works in partnership with Voluntary Action Mid Surrey to offer this service free of charge for volunteers
We celebrate volunteers
We celebrate the achievements of volunteers as well as promoting the benefits to individuals. We hold an annual awards event, in partnership with the Mayor of Reigate & Banstead to recognise the value of volunteers.
Step 1 : Registration
Register your organisation and opportunities with VARB. You can do this via our online database here or using our registration forms. Remember to provide as much detail as possible, to give volunteers a good idea of what to expect.
Step 2 : Referrals
We will contact you with details of potential volunteers who have expressed an interest. Please respond promptly and set up an informal chat or interview with the potential volunteer.
Step 3 : References
Before accepting a potential volunteer, we recommend that you always take up references. If required, you may also need a DBS (criminal records) check.
Step 4 : Report
Please keep VARB informed of any changes in your organisation. Let us know if an opportunity has been filled so we only refer volunteers where they are needed.
Events supporting Volunteer Recruitment and Management
- Trusteee Recruitment Training – 5 March 2020 in Leatherhead. A free half day workshop delivered by trustee recruitment specialists “Getting on Board”.
- Volunteer Co-ordinators Forum – 12 May 2020 in Nork. Focussing on celebrating volunteers.
- Volunteer Co-ordinators Forum – 9 July 2020 at Gatton Park
See our “What’s Happening” page for further details and bookings.
Support for Volunteer Managers
- If you would like advice on developing volunteer opportunities or working with volunteers then our Volunteer Centre Manager would be happy to help. Please get in touch to make an appointment.
- See our Resources section for examples of good practice and sample volunteer policies
“Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they are worthless but because they are priceless”Sherry Andersen