121 ESOL Volunteer
We’re looking for ESOL Volunteers to join our team, delivering engaging online 1-2-1 lessons for displaced young people. We need people with experience in teaching ESOL at different levels, who can motivate and inspire the young people, encouraging them to learn English.
● Location: Online
● Hours: 1-2 hours a week (commitment of 6 months)
● Deliver an online 1-2-1 ESOL session for a displaced young person (aged 16-21).
● Motivate and inspire the young people we support to actively engage in the education that is available to them.
● Ensure the health and safety of participants at all times.
● Record any incidents, accidents or safeguarding issues and make sure the Senior Project Leader, DSL and trustees are informed.
● Provide feedback to the ESOL Supervisor and attend a bi-weekly ESOL meeting.
● Read, understand, and agree to Big Leaf Foundation’s child protection & safeguarding policy.
● Liaise with other members of the Big Leaf Foundation team as needed to fulfil the role.
What skills do I need?
● ESOL / teaching qualification.
● Strong empathy and communication skills.
● Experience of working with young people.
● Willingness to commit to one online session per week for 6 months.
● Ability to work as part of a team.
● Passion for the role and commitment to our aims and values.
● Previous experience of befriending and/or direct youth work with young refugees.
● Understanding of the issues and experiences of young people who are coming to the UK as asylum seekers and refugees.
● Ability to speak one or more refugee community languages.
Big Leaf Foundation
- Young People
- Teaching, Training and Coaching
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 03/03/2022
End Date: 03/03/2023
1 hour per week at a convenient time to be arranged between the volunteer and young person. Attendance at a bi-weekly group supervision which takes place on a Monday evening.
Reigate & Banstead Borough Council
Oxfam Shops - Surrey
Mid Surrey Community Fridges (CSVA)
Ashford Youth and Community Centre (SP)