BASRRA is a new organisation working towards charity status offering a service of a listening ear, support, and compassion by trained volunteers. The service is for adults in the Redhill and Reigate area who are in the early stages of grief and bereavement. The understanding, care and empathy proffered will respect every individual in need of the services that BASRRA can provide.
We are seeking to recruit Bereavement Befriender volunteers, to give between 1-4 hours per week to join our team. The role will involve:
Responding to clients via the phone primarily, whether as a first responder or as an ongoing supporter to support grieving residents who are experiencing loss of their loved ones.
Volunteers will listen to and guide people in what their options are and signpost to services that are available in the area. (Please note this is not a counselling role.)
You will need use of a phone and computer for this role.
What skills do I need?
Although no previous experience is required and comprehensive training will be provided, you will need:
• To treat and respect clients with dignity, fairness and maintain strict confidentiality
• Be non-judgemental, professional and calm
• Have a caring, kind, compassionate, empathetic and understanding approach, with high standards of integrity
• Be able to work effectively and flexible within a team
• Be reliable and commit to allocated timed phone sessions - if unable to attend a session give as much notice as possible
• Keep accurate records of each call
• To attend the training
• Attend debrief sessions within a small group structure on a regular basis (not less than monthly)
• Complete BASRRA application process
Bereavement Advice and Support, Redhill and Reigate Area
- Emergency Response
- Mental Health
- Advice and Information
- Befriending & Buddying
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 16/11/2021
End Date: 10/12/2021
We are growing the services so as we get more trained volunteers, we will offer more opening hours, which will be based on our volunteers availability.
east to west
Daybreak - Respite Care Centre (SP)
Surrey Care Trust - Woking (STEPS Programme) (VSNS)
The Besom in Camberley (SH)
Sunrise Senior Living (SH)