Growing Redhill is a community gardening group for Redhill and the surrounding area, which is run by a volunteer Committee of Management. It’s volunteer officer roles consist of, as a minimum, a Chairperson, a Secretary and a Treasurer. Plus other elected committee members. All Committee members must be paid-up members of Growing Redhill, which costs £5 per annum and be elected annually at the AGM. Members can be co-opted onto the Committee during the year and can carry out the role in an acting position.
The Chairperson will:
- Help the group achieve the group’s goals.
- Consult with the Secretary to produce the agenda for the committee meetings.
- Chair the group’s committee meetings, inspire and lead.
- Act as the conduit for discussing stakeholders’ wishes.
- Be the public-facing contact for the group.
- Vote on activities and events of the group and hold the casting vote in the event that agreement hasn’t be reached.
- Function as a signatory on the group’s bank account.
- Authorise members’ expenses.
- Act as a gardening volunteer and promote the activities of the group.
Committee members may undertake roles in absence of other volunteer capacity e.g. secretarial and publicity:
- Secretarial to include administration of enquiries, membership subscriptions, capture compliments and handle complaints.
to include creating a quarterly newsletter for members and selected stakeholders,
updating the website and promoting the group’s work on social media.
What skills do I need?
- You will have the ability to work with a wide range of people and gain consensus.
- Hold the ‘institutional memory’ for the group and this may include keeping records in an accessible format.
- Have an aptitude for attention to detail and empathy for a range of needs associated with community gardening and volunteering.
- You may have a background that brings additional credibility to the group’s reputation.
- Trusteeship, Committee Work
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 02/02/2024
End Date: 31/01/2025
Tuesday evenings are the committee meetings (usually at Redhill Library) and our gardening activities are watering on Wednesday evenings during the summer and mornings Saturdays and Sundays. Not every weekend. The chair would be involved in the gardening activities.
Queen Elizabeth's Foundation (CSVA)
Lower Green Community CIO
Camberley Alzheimers Cafe (VSNS)
Walton on Thames Charity (CSVA)