Digital support volunteer
Could you use your digital skills and experience to assist our library users develop their confidence in digital technology? You could enable them to access employment and training, use online services, become more independent and reduce isolation.
Or would you be interested in helping to develop more specialist opportunities for those more proficient in computer use? They might wish to learn or utilise new skills such as filming, exploring family history or developing our Makerspace area.
Typical tasks could include:
- One-to-one support and encouragement to boost confidence and help people to help themselves with computer basics.
- Help to run clubs, classes, seminars and one-to-one training – offering support with a range of digital technology, websites and programs.
- Guide customers in using the library catalogue and website to access Surrey Libraries' digital and online resources.
- Run a Code Club, Lego Club, Litcraft or other digital activity clubs for children and adults.
- Use your film-making or photography skills to lead workshops creating a video, stop animation, or create promotional films for start-up businesses.
What skills do I need?
To volunteer with us for this role you will need to be:
- Friendly and approachable.
- Confident in basic use of computer and the internet but not necessarily an expert.
- Able to communicate with learners of all ages to share knowledge and skills.
- Patient and understanding, having the ability to motivate and encourage others.
- Enthusiastic about digital making and have an interest in new technology and equipment, crafts, or skills such as 3D printing, Raspberry Pis, and programming.
We will give you training, and local staff will provide ongoing support.
Surrey Libraries (CSVA)
- No Specific Interest
- Community Support
- IT and Websites
- Age restrictions
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Elmbridge Community Eco Hub CIC (CSVA)
Dorking Museum and Heritage Centre (CSVA)
Mid Surrey Community Fridges (CSVA)
Princess Alice Hospice (CSVA)