Community Fridge Volunteer (CSVA)
Mid Surrey Community Fridges are looking for volunteers to help them in the fight against food waste.
Their aim is to stop food waste and to redistribute the excess food from supermarkets, restaurants, cafes and suppliers to residents so the food is not wasted.
Volunteers are key to ensuring that fridges are kept stocked of surplus food and are clean and tidy, so that we can all achieve our aim of reducing food waste.
Volunteers need to develop great relationships with each other, our customers, premises owners and suppliers. They will spend a significant part of their time with our customers and suppliers. Therefore, they must be a friendly, polite and welcoming ambassador for Mid Surrey Community Fridges.
Arrangements often change, so the volunteer must be capable of adapting with minimum fuss.
Many of our customers have special needs, so volunteers need to be sensitive to their diverse requirements and be kind and caring.
The role involves stacking shelves and cleaning fridges so volunteers must be physically fit.
What skills do I need?
• Follow instructions given by the Fridge Manager.
• Follow the MSCF guidelines and procedures.
• Depending on the role, work as part of an effective team or work on your own
• Maintain appropriate working relations with the other members of the volunteer team, premises owners, staff and suppliers
• Provide a courteous, friendly and polite welcome to all of our customers
• Lift crates of food into and out of the back of delivery vans
• Collect food from local supermarkets
• Replenish the fridge.
• Clean the fridge according to cleaning schedule and guidelines
• Keep the area around the fridge secure and tidy
• Check and sign delivery and collection notes, resolving discrepancies with donors or escalating to the Fridge manager as appropriate.
• Help the fridge manager with counting and banking donations and weighing the food
• Attend Manual Handling, Food Handling and other training as required
Mid Surrey Community Fridges (CSVA)
- Families and Parenting
- Homeless and Housing
- Older People
- Young People
- Age restrictions
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 21/09/2021
End Date: 21/09/2022
Sites are located in Dorking, North Holmwood (Goodwyns) & Goodwyns Café.
Reigate & Banstead Borough Council
The Merstham Mix Cafe
Dorking Museum and Heritage Centre (CSVA)
Princess Alice Hospice (CSVA)