Independent Custody Visitor (RB)
Independent Custody Visitors are members of the public recruited by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner to visit police stations at random to check on the treatment of people held in custody by the police.
As an Independent Custody Visitor you would have a vital role in ensuring the welfare of persons in police custody in Surrey. You will be assigned to a panel and, together with another Independent Custody Visitor, be asked to visit the local custody centre on an unannounced basis, to check on the treatment of people being held in police custody.
- The role is voluntary (unpaid), although travelling expenses are paid.
- Police vetting will be conducted on all applicants.
- Training & Support is provided including classroom training sessions and training visits to custody
Ongoing training is provided
Custody visitors meet up in panels every quarter to discuss visits
Annual events and conferences are available
All volunteers must be over 18 years of age.
What skills do I need?
- You must be over 18 and live or work in the Surrey policing area
- Own transport is needed (travel expenses will be paid)
- No previous experience required
- You will need to be observant, impartial, able to record detail, and talk to people without judging
- Where there could be a conflict of interest (e.g if you are also a magistrate) you will not be considered suitable
- Travel expenses are paid
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteers covered by insurance
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 27/03/2015
End Date: 31/05/2020
An average of 3 to 5 hours a month Appointments last for 3 years and extended by mutual agreement. Long term volunteer role up to 2 years required after the initial training, volunteers have a probationary period of 6 months with ongoing training.
West Byfleet Health Centre (RM)
National Trust - Standen (TD)
The Salvation Army (RB)
Tandridge Voluntary Action (TVA) (TD)
Freewheelers Theatre Company (CSVA)