Opportunities for Young People including Duke of Edinburgh volunteering opportunties
Are you looking for a placement for the Skills or Volunteering sections of your Duke of Edinburgh? Are you keen to inspire younger children with a love of reading? Surrey Libraries can help – you can take on general tasks in the library or help out with our Digital groups or Children's Reading Groups.
Or are you looking for volunteering in the summer holidays? Help with our Summer Reading Challenge by talking to children about the books they have read and helping with events and activities.
Library tasks are many and varied. Some of the ways volunteers can help include:
- Supporting library staff in keeping our libraries and library bookshops well stocked organised and neatly presented.
- Organising book displays.
- Assisting customers with technology.
- Promoting libraries - talk to friends and use social media to promote library services.
- Helping out with a reading group, Digital club or the Summer Reading Challenge.
Volunteering looks great on your CV and can be a lot of fun, give it a go!
Duke of Edinburgh's Award volunteer
We welcome applications for Duke of Edinburgh volunteering awards at all levels. Support Library staff with everyday tasks, events and activities and develop your skills with a challenging project.
Applications for Duke of Edinburgh volunteering will open in late April 2022.
Summer Reading Challenge
The Summer Reading Challenge is a national scheme organised by The Reading Agency to encourage children to continue to read and visit libraries during the school holidays. You can help in many ways, including:
- Promoting the challenge by talking to children, their parents and carers and explaining how it works.
- Encouraging children to talk about the books they have read and helping them to choose more books.
- Registering children, recording their progress and handing out rewards.
- Helping with activities, promotional events and craft sessions.
Applications for the Summer Reading Challenge volunteers will open in June 2022.
What skills do I need?
To volunteer with us for this role you will need to be:
- Willing to share skills and ideas.
- Friendly, approachable and good at interacting with others.
- Organised and reliable.
- Enthusiastic about the library service.
We will give you training, and local staff will provide ongoing support.
Surrey Libraries (CSVA)
- No Specific Interest
- Advice and Information
- Community Support
- Employee Volunteering
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
British Heart Foundation Charity Shops (VSNS)
Action for Carers
Citizens Advice Runnymede and Spelthorne (SP)