Woodworking Activity Volunteer
The Centre offers a well-equipped woodworking shop, modelled after the Men In Sheds global organisation. Men and women are invited to use and develop their woodworking skills, the materials we provide, and their own creativity to create, repair and ‘upcycle’ wooden objects and products. We would like to expand the number of Shed users we can support, so would like to hear from men or women who could do any of the following:
- Open the Shed, welcome members and supervise use of tools and equipment as necessary.
- Use and share your experience of wood-working, carpentry, repairs and use of hand and power tools. You do not need to be ‘expert’!
- Support members working on projects or developing their skills.
- Identify or design projects suited to members, and which result in products that are attractive for sales to the public.
- Deliver short courses, lessons, or one-on-one instruction to members and other volunteers.
- Help source quality materials (e.g. wood, fasteners and hardware, paints and finishes).
What’s in it for you?
You’ll improve your own skills, and may learn a new one or two.
Help other people learn and appreciate woodworking and tools, as you do, and to make products and items that they’re proud of!
Meet new people, with similar interests and of all ages and backgrounds.
Make wooden products that the public appreciate and want to buy.
Contribute to raising funds, which enables the Woodhouse Centre to continue to prosper and offer services to members.
What skills do I need?
In addition to your experience in woodworking (you don’t need to be an expert), you will
· Have a friendly, patient and approachable manner.
· Demonstrate empathy with people, including those with views and experience different to your own.
· Be a good communicator, able to give clear instructions and encouragement to others.
· Be reliable and committed to your role as a volunteer.
The Woodhouse Centre
- Arts, Heritage and Culture
- Older People
- Befriending & Buddying
- DIY & Odd Jobs
- DBS check required
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteers covered by insurance
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 05/05/2021
End Date: 20/05/2022
The Centre is located in Oxted (next to the leisure centre, behind Morrisons), and is currently open four mornings each week: Mondays – Thursdays, 09.30 – 12.30 (we hope to expand to afternoons and Saturdays – although this is TBC). We’d like someone who could commit to a regular timeslot of at least 2-3 hours each week, and we especially need someone available on Monday mornings, but we’re open to any days/times. In the future, we may be able to expand opening to include afternoons and Saturdays – so we’d like to hear from people able to help us with these.
Camberley Guide Association (SH)
Age Concern Merstham, Redhill & Reigate (RB)
Renewed Hope (RB)
St John's Church - The Kitchen (SP)