Rubbish – ways to help
The following information comes from the Surrey Environment Partnership
Bin collections – what can you do to help?
We’re doing everything we can to keep bin collections running as normal during the Coronavirus pandemic. Here are some things that you can do to help:
Help bin crews operate
- Due to reduced traffic, your usual collections time may change. Please put your bins out early and leave them out until they’ve been emptied.
- Please be considerate when parking your car on a collection day, this will help to ensure the collection vehicles can access your road.
- Please make sure your bin lids are firmly closed to help prevent crews unnecessarily touching them.
- Wash your hands before and after touching your bin.
- Compact your recycling by flattening and folding cardboard and washing and squashing plastic to fit as much as possible into your bins.
- Only put bins out when they are full.
- Bin crews are working hard to keep this essential service going during this difficult time. If you see them, please let them know you appreciate what they’re doing and give them a wave or a smile!
Recycle right and reduce your waste
- Only put items that can be recycled in recycling bins. Use the Surrey Recycles search tool to find out what goes where. It can be found on our website or downloaded as an app – search for ‘Surrey Recycles’.
- Reduce your waste as much as possible. Could you use an alternative reusable item, or use something again instead of throwing it away? There are plenty of tips on how to reduce waste in the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle section of our website.
- Don’t buy more food than you need and remember to freeze it if you can’t eat it before the use by date. Use up leftovers rather than throwing them away. Check the SEP website recipe page for ideas.
- Start composting at home. Buy a compost bin at a reduced rate or for those wanting to compost all their food waste, food waste digesters are also available.
Keep your Clearout
- All of Surrey’s Community Recycling Centres are remaining open during lockdown, however the on-site reuse shops are closed. Please check Surrey County Council’s website for details before your visit in case there are any restrictions on certain types of waste. Alternatively call 03456 009 009.
- Don’t leave waste outside charity shops or next to recycling banks – this is fly-tipping which is illegal and you could be fined up to £50,000 or even imprisoned.
- Please don’t burn it either! Even just a few bonfires lit at the same time in one area can cause a lot of smoke and make it harder to breathe, especially for people with coronavirus. Read the advice here